One-to-One Career Advising - Offered by our Peer Advisors
Resume/Cover Letter Reviews (20 minute appointments)
- First Years and Sophomores- please attend our Resume Labs specifically designed for you. See below.
- Juniors and Seniors: Have your resumes and cover letters reviewed at any stage of the writing process 1-on-1.
Handshake/LinkedIn/UCAN Overview (20 minute appointments)
- Get introduced to Handshake, Linkedin, or UCAN (University Career Alumni Network)!
Interviewing Tips and Strategies (20 minute appointments)
- Learn about interview preparation including interviewing formats, types of questions, answer formulation, and interview etiquette.
Mock Interview (40 minute appointments)
- Practice your behavioral interviewing skills, for jobs, internships, and graduate/professional school.
- Mock interviews are designed to be the final stage of your preparation process, so each student is limited to two mock interviews per semester.
Clothes Closet (30 minute appointments)
- Are you planning to have an interview, internship, or start your first professional role? The University Clothes Closet has you covered! Come in for an appointment to select business professional and business casual clothing at no cost to you (Free Clothes!). Items we provide include full suits, dress shirts, skirts, blouses, ties, shoes, and more. Students are allowed to select up to three items.
One-to-One Career Advising and Counseling- Offered by our Expert Career Coaches and Career Advisors
Exploring Career/Major Options (40 minute appointments)
- Explore your career and/or major options
- Identify your interests, values, skills and passions to find direction and clarify goals
- Make connections between your UM experiences and possible future plans
Preparation beyond the Classroom for Med/Health/Law/Grad School* (40 minute appointments)
- Explore if Graduate/Professional School is right for you
- Discuss ways to successfully prepare for your chosen field
- Identify resources to research programs of interest
* For graduate/professional school application questions/advising, contact LSA Newnan Advising Center at 734-764-0332 and/or appropriate advisors and faculty in your school/college/department.
Job Search and Gap Year Strategies (40 minute appointments)
- Create an effective job search strategy, by industry
- Learn how to use social media for networking/searching
- Negotiate job offers and timelines
Negotiating and Evaluating Offers
- Learn negotiation techniques and get help evaluating your job/internship offer.
- For legal/contract questions, please contact the office of Student Legal Services
Resume Lab and Internship Lab- Designed as a space to get real-time, personalized help, Labs are your one-stop shop to get to work!
- Resume Labs are designed for first year and sophomore students to actively dive into creating an eye-catching resume.
- Internships Labs are designed for first years, sophomores, and juniors to get started on their internship search process.
- Make an appointment - Offered daily from 8am-5pm in-person, by phone, or by Google Hangout.
- Check out Handshake for a complete list of workshops, programs, and group offerings.
Student demand for appointments is extremely high. If you are interested in scheduling an appointment and are not able to find an option that fits your schedule, please call our Information Desk at 734-764-7460.
Special Appointment Notes:
*** Appointments are reserved for current students/recent graduates (up to 18 months following graduation).
*** All one-to-one appointments for graduate/professional school application questions and personal statement reviews are being scheduled through LSA Newnan Academic Advising. Please contact them for appointment availability at 734-764-0332.
*** Given demand for student appointments, we ask that you cancel any appointment you can not attend. See our no-show policy for information about missing scheduled appointments with University Career Center staff. In addition, we are only able to hold one appointment at a time to allow fair access to appointments for all students.
*** Please note that appointment times are NOT on "Michigan Time". Plan to arrive for your actual appointment time to maximize your interaction with your Career Coach.