The University Career Center serves PhD students in a variety of ways. We have expertise on how to conduct non-academic and academic job searches. We offer individual appointments, programs, and web resources to meet PhD students' needs.
For many types of job searches, particularly non-academic, your home college or school may be a excellent resource for discipline specific content expertise and recruiting power. However, the University Career Center can support your exploration and job search strategies in addition to the resources you may be using in your own department. These departments include:
College of Engineering: Engineering Career Resource Center
School of Information: Career Services
School of Kinesiology: Kinesiology Career Development Center
School of Environment and Sustainability: Student Career Services
School of Public Health: Career Services
Stephen M. Ross School of Business: Career Services
CV Development: If you are a student who is looking to develop your curriculum vitae (CV), we suggest that you work with your advisor or another official in your department. However, there are paid services that are offered in the Ann Arbor area as well.
PhD Pathways Programs
Each Fall and Winter semester the University Career Center offers and co-sponsors programs with Rackham Graduate School. These career focused programs are open to any graduate student. For current program offerings check out your Handshake account through the University Career Center and Rackham's Event Calendar.
The Winter 2020 semester program (co-sponsored with the Rackham Graduate School) dates related to non-academic career development are as follows:
1. CV to Resume, January 28th, 2020 noon to 1:30pm @ the Rackham East Conference Room (Register https://sessions.studentlife.umich.edu/track/event/session/21146)
2. Interviewing for Jobs Beyond the Professoriate, Feburary 19th, 2020 noon to 1:30pm @ the Rackham Assembly Hall (Register https://sessions.studentlife.umich.edu/track/event/session/21147)
3. Cover Letters, March 20th, 2020 noon to 1:30pm @ the Rackham Common Room, Lower Level (Register https://sessions.studentlife.umich.edu/track/event/session/21148)
4. Getting Started: Exploratory PhD Process Group for Nonacademic Career Paths, March 5th-March 26th, 2020 (more details to come)
5. The Annual PhD Career Conference, April 3rd, 2020 (More details to come).
Our web resources are divided into two major sections for PhD students based on whether you are exploring an academic or non-academic job search. Current trends suggest you may engage both.