We are celebrating LGBTQ History Awareness Month in October. Check out the link below to hear and get advice from alumni/alumnx!
University of Michigan/UCC Resource: https://careercenter.umich.edu/content/ucc-celebrates-our-community#LGBTQHistoryMonth
We are committed to creating an open and safe space for University of Michigan students who identify as LGBTQ. When transitioning to the workplace, whether for a job or internship, students might encounter questions like:
- Should I disclose my sexual orientation to an employer?
- When is it a good time to disclose my sexual orientation to an employer?
- How do I know if an environment is safe?
- Are there going to be other people who identify as LGBTQ in my new community? How do I find them?
UCC offers guidance, support, and resources to students who are thinking about these questions and others. Schedule an appointment online to meet with a career coach, or check out our additional web resources for more information.
Table of Contents:
- JOB & INTERNSHIP SEARCH RESOURCES
- SOME WEB AND PRINT PUBLICATIONS AND MATERIALS
- EXAMPLE OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
JOB & INTERNSHIP SEARCH RESOURCES
University of Michigan/UCC Resources
- Handshake: A pathway to career connections. Through this tool you can: Explore job and internship openings, engage in recruiting activities with employers, and develop and track your goals and next steps. You can also identify University Career Center events, workshops, and fairs and schedule an appointment with a UCC coach to discuss your ideas, and develop plans, and strategies related to graduate/professional schools, and employment.
Additional External Resources
- Victory Institute This institute seeks to increase the number of LGBTQ people in public office.
- National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce The NGLCC is a global not-for-profit advocacy organization dedicated to expanding the economic opportunities and advancements of the LGBT business community.
- Movement Advancement Project This resource indicates which states/local governments include sexual orientation and/or gender identity or expression in their non-discrimination policies.
SOME WEB AND PRINT PUBLICATIONS AND MATERIALS
EXAMPLES OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Human Rights Campaign This organization seeks to promote and evaluate corporations and their policies to ensure LGBTQ individuals feel safe and are able to thrive in the workplace.
- National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce This organization promotes LGBTQ business owners and opportunities.
- National LGBT Bar Association This is a community for those that identify as LGBTQ to explore or worki within the legal field for community, and find helpful resources and opportunities.
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals This organization is a community that is focused on the scientific and academic professional opportunities.
Links to external resources are included due to their potential interest to students. Inclusion of a resource does not imply University Career Center or University endorsement of the particular organization, opportunity, or resource described. Descriptions of a resource are taken from the external site and the University is not responsible for the content.