We are celebrating LGBTQ History Awareness Month in October. Check out the link below to hear and get advice from alumni/alumnx!
We are committed to creating an open and safe space for University of Michigan students who identify as LGBTQ. When transitioning to the workplace, whether for a job or internship, students might encounter questions like:
- Should I disclose my sexual orientation to an employer?
- When is it a good time to disclose my sexual orientation to an employer?
- How do I know if an environment is safe?
- Are there going to be other people who identify as LGBTQ in my new community? How do I find them?
UCC offers guidance, support, and resources to students who are thinking about these questions and others. Schedule an appointment online to meet with a career coach, or check out our additional web-resources for more information.
Table of Contents:
- JOB & INTERNSHIP SEARCH RESOURCES
- SOME WEB AND PRINT PUBLICATIONS AND MATERIALS
- EXAMPLE OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
JOB & INTERNSHIP SEARCH RESOURCES
- Victory Institute seeks to increase the number of LGBTQ people in public office.
- National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce The NGLCC is the largest global not-for-profit advocacy organization dedicated to expanding the economic opportunities and advancements of the LGBT business community
- Movement Advancement Project Shows which states/local governments include sexual orientation and/or gender identity or expression in their non-discrimination policies
EXAMPLE OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Human Rights Campaign seeks to promote and evaluate corporations and their policies to ensure LGBTQ folk feel safe and are able to thrive where they work.
- National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce promotes LGBTQ business owners and opportunities
- National LGBT Bar Association a community for LGBTQ folks exploring or working within the legal field for community, resources, and opportunities.
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals a community focused on the scientific and academic professional opportunities.
Resources and links are included due to their potential interest to students. Inclusion of a resource does not imply school endorsement of the particular organization, opportunity or resource described.