Your approach to finding your internship or job can range from being super selective to casting a wide net.
But those approaches might not have as big of an impact on your overall success as you think they would.
Instead, think about how your approach might change if you found out that 85% of jobs were filled through networking.
When you start to network, you start to hear about positions that haven't been posted yet and you also increase your odds of getting referrals from people who work there.
This can help get your resume to decision makers at much higher rates compared to when you send your resume through application systems designed to filter out resumes.
One place you can find people to network with is LinkedIn but since you go to Michigan we recommend you start with the University Career Alumni Network (UCAN) first.
Because unlike LinkedIn, UCAN is full of Michigan alumni who signed up to share their advice and insights with you.
In terms of finding help for specific things, Michigan likely has what you're looking for since it's a big place with lots of expertise and resources.
But because it's such a big place, it also means that you might not be aware of who is out there and what resources are available to you.
Which is why we want to make sure you know about your resources related to internship/job searching and (more generally) figuring out what you want to do after college.
We've heard from students that they wish they would have met with one of our career coaches or career advisors sooner.
That's why we we want to make it easy to find time so that we can talk face-to-face, over the phone, or through video chat.
If what you've been doing hasn't resulted in what you were hoping for then it might mean it's time to switch things up ⏤ so let's chat.
Events This Week
- Oct 7th: Detroit Lions - Second Annual Sports Forum (U of M) (1:00pm)
- Oct 7th: Tackling Ethical Questions in the Medical School Interview (3:00pm)
- Oct 7th: Resume Lab (4:00pm)
- Oct 7th: Ready, Set, Intern! for First-Year Students (6:00pm)
- Oct 7th: Webinar Series: Demystifying Entry-Level Sales' Careers at HubSpot (6:00pm)
- Oct 7th: Lockheed Martin Cyber Grand Challenge - Registration | Challenge Open: October 11th - 20th
- Oct 8th: Jane Street Trading Desk Operations (TDO) - Digital Information Session (10:00am)
- Oct 8th: Disclosure and Requesting Accommodations in the Job Search Process (1:00pm)
- Oct 8th: Internship Lab (5:00pm)
- Oct 8th: Revenue Management Info Session - American Airlines (5:30pm)
- Oct 9th: OUWB School of Medicine Information Session (12:00pm)
- Oct 9th: Resume Lab (5:00pm)
- Oct 9th: Ready, Set, Intern! for First-Year Students (6:00pm)
- Oct 10th: Should You Take A Gap Year? (1:00pm)
- Oct 10th: Navigating U.S. Job Search (2:00pm)
- Oct 10th: How to Find a Job/Internship in Data, Analytics, Data Science (4:30pm)
- Oct 10th: Community organizing careers: DART's online info session for U-M students and alumni (7:00pm)
- Oct 11th: Ayco Information Session (4:00pm)
- Oct 15th: Sherwin William's Webinar: Interview Preparation - We've Got You Covered! (1:00pm)
- Oct 15th: H-1B Temporary Worker in Specialty Occupations Basics (3:00pm)
To see other events related to internships, jobs, and general career exploration, please visit our Upcoming Events page. All of the upcoming events are also listed in Handshake as well as on the Happening @ Michigan events calendar.