Have you ever looked at an internship/job posting and passed on applying because you didn't think it was feasible or realistic that you'd land it?
If so, you're not alone. We've heard from students that often times they'll look at an internship/job posting and then evaluate it based on whether they think it's attainable or not.
Some students think 'That's cool but are they really going to hire someone like me?' — and then they don't apply.
But the answer is 'yes' — they do hire students like you.
However even though we tell students this some are still reluctant to believe us until they hear it from other U-M students who have worked there and who share the steps they took in order to get hired.
That's one of the reasons we created 'Meet the Interns'.
Because at 'Meet the Interns' you can hear from other U-M students and ask them about their experience at organizations like Tesla, Quicken Loans, Kellogg’s, Accenture, JP Morgan Chase, Madison Square Garden, etc. And you can also hear what each of those students did to get hired.
Over 70 students will be on hand to talk about their internships in fashion, marketing, sports, finance, public policy, retail, healthcare, and more.
Want to see the list of organizations that 'Meet the Interns' students worked at? Visit the 'Meet the Interns' Facebook event and check out the most recent post: https://www.facebook.com/events/590516908030641/
Meet the Interns
Wednesday, September 12th
6PM - 8PM
Looking for something to wear to an upcoming internship/job fair? Want to add to your professional wardrobe because you're presenting at a conference or you're attending a networking event?
The University Career Center (UCC) offers the chance for you to do that via the UCC Clothes Closet.
Each semester you (and any other U-M student) can pick up to three free business casual / business professional items from a wide selection of clothing donated by U-M faculty, staff, and alumni.
You can also receive tips on how to dress to impress as well as tips on how to build your professional brand.
The first Clothes Closet event of the semester is on Friday, September 14th.
It starts at 3:30PM and takes place in the Maize & Blue Auditorium which is located on the first floor of the Student Activities Building.
Free professional headshots are also offered during large Clothes Closet events.
Please note that due to space constraints Clothes Closet events are capped after the first 200 students arrive. Once that cap is hit, no other students will be allowed to participate that day.
UCC Clothes Closet
Friday, September 14th
3:30PM - 5:00PM
Maize & Blue Auditorium | Student Activities Building
Events This Week
- Sept 10th: Work on creating or improving your resume during Resume Lab (3PM)
- Sept 10th: Learn about the MMI interview format if you're thinking about applying to medical, dental, pharmacy, or veterinary school (5PM)
- Sept 10th: Learn how to use LinkedIn during a workshop with Tesla engineers and recruiters (6PM)
- Sept 11th: Network with accounting professionals from PwC while getting your resume reviewed (11AM)
- Sept 11th: Drop in during Internship Lab to get help with searching for and applying to internships (5PM)
- Sept 11th: Find out what it’s like to work at PwC by attending their company presentation (5:45PM)
- Sept 11th: Find out what it’s like to work at Tesla by attending their company presentation (6PM)
- Sept 12th: Attend a workshop and learn more about the Silicon Valley software company Palantir Technologies (10:30AM)
- Sept 12th: Work on creating or improving your resume during Resume Lab (5PM)
- Sept 12th: Chat with U-M students about how they got their summer internship (Free Food) (6PM)
- Sept 13th: Meet audit, tax, and advisory professionals who work at Deloitte during their networking event (10AM)
- Sept 13th: Learn about internship and full-time opportunities by chatting with employees from Procter & Gamble’s Consumer & Market Knowledge division (11AM)
- Sept 13th: Work on creating or improving your resume during Resume Lab - For First Year Students (3PM)
- Sept 13th: Meet with Microsoft employees and learn about their undergraduate business roles (5PM)
- Sept 13th: Learn about internship and full-time job opportunities at Deloitte during their company presentation (5:30PM)
- Sept 13th: First-year students, learn what employers look for in interns and what you need to do to get an internship (6PM)
- Sept 13th: Learn about a "day in the life" of a Consumer & Market Knowledge Associate Manager at Procter & Gamble (P&G) (7:30PM) **Sept 9th App Deadline for Event Invites**
- Sept 14th: Pick out FREE business casual / business professional attire (note: due to space capacity this event is capped after the first 200 students arrive) (3:30PM)
- Sept 14th: Learn about the Michigan Medicine Fellowship Program from current fellows (4PM)
- Sept 14th: Learn about the Analyst / Consultant role and what a day in the life is like at Deloitte during their presentation — then network afterwards (5PM)
To see other events related to internships, jobs, and general career exploration, please visit our Upcoming Events page. All of the upcoming events are also listed in Handshake as well as on the Happening @ Michigan events calendar.