If you're interested in gaining PR experience so you can add it to your resume and/or so you can see what it's like to work in the industry then you should take part in the BLASTmedia Employer Challenge.
You can take part as an individual or as a team. If joining as a team, grab a friend(s) and sign up together.
BLASTmedia professionals will provide feedback to everyone who takes part in the PR challenge. And a prize will be provided to the winning person or group.
If you do a lot of presentations in class (or you want more experience doing presentations) then this is right up your alley.
This is a great way to make professional connections in the PR industry. And it's a nice alternative to waiting in line to speak to recruiters at career fairs.
The application for this challenge closes on Tuesday, October 30th - apply ASAP!
This is for you if:
- You want to learn more about what it's like to work in PR/Marketing/Advertising
- You want to practice your team-building and presentation skills
- You want to have fun while learning about working in PR and how to get your clients message in front of the right audience
- You're looking for a way to connect with an employer for the first time
- You're not sure what you're most interested in and want to try something out
- You're creative, and love coming up with awesome ideas
Do you want someone to send you events and opportunities that are tailored to a specific interest of yours? If yes, join a Career Track.
Join a Career Track and you'll receive messages about internship and job openings. You'll also get access to guest talks and networking events that feature alumni & professionals who work in that particular field or industry.
Being a part of a Career Track is a great way to meet & learn from people who are:
- Doing what you want to do
- Working at companies that you want to work at
It's also a great way to meet other students interested in a similar career path as you.
Below are the steps on how to join a Career Track:
- Sign into Handshake
- Click on your name in the top right hand corner
- Click on 'Your Career Interests' from the list of options (under 'Applications')
- Scroll down to Career Tracks (under 'Where are you interested in living?')
- Select which Career Tracks you want to join
- Click 'Save My Career Interests' and you're done
Here's a list of tracks that you can currently join:
Biotechnology • Consulting • Data Science • Fashion • Finance • Government • Health • Law • Marketing/Advertising/PR • Nonprofit • Sales • Sports
Events This Week
- Oct 29th: Drop in for a virtual event and learn about entry-level sales positions that are responsible for the growth of UPS’s SmallPackage division (2PM)
- Oct 29th: Work on creating or improving your resume during Resume Lab (5PM)
- Oct 30th: Deadline to register for the First Gen Career Assessment Scholarship (12PM)
- Oct 30th: Learn about funding options for internships and research abroad (4:30PM)
- Oct 30th: Drop in during Internship Lab to get help with searching for and applying to internships (5PM)
- Oct 30th: Attend Overland’s campus info session to learn about summer leadership opportunities (7PM)
- Oct 30th: Deadline to apply for BLASTmedia’s PR/Marketing/Advertising Challenge (11:59PM)
- Oct 31st: Work on creating or improving your resume during Resume Lab (11AM)
- Nov 1st: First Gen students, join us for an interactive session in which you take a career assessment and then learn how to apply your top 5 strengths *** 10/30 registration required *** (2:30PM)
- Nov 1st: First Gen students, stop by the open house event and meet with folks from the Univ. Career Center, LS&A, and Kinesiology (4PM)
- Nov 2nd: Want to work in the fashion industry? Hear from a U-M alumnus who works at Michael Kors and who previously worked at Victoria’s Secret (1PM)
- Nov 2nd: Hear U-M alumni share their creative career paths (i.e., from bachelor of fine art to plastic surgeon/tech creative director/blockchain specialist/art collection disrupter) (1:30PM)
- Nov 2nd: Drop in during Internship Lab to get help with searching for and applying to internships (3PM)
- Nov 8th: *** Additional Section for the First-Year Resume Challenge *** (6:30PM)
To see other events related to internships, jobs, and general career exploration, please visit our Upcoming Events page. All of the upcoming events are also listed in Handshake as well as on the Happening @ Michigan events calendar.