Every week, we highlight a few positions that we think you'll find interesting. Learn more by checking out each pick on Handshake. While you're there, see what other interesting opportunities you find! Handshake is a great way to start exploring your career options and it is also the best way to stay informed on what you need to know as a job or internship seeker while you're a student here at U of M. Besides housing job & internship opportunities, Handshake also contains information about employer presentations, career fairs, workshops, and on-campus interviews.
ANDREE'S PICK: Quantitative Trader at Jane Street
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 1, 2018
There are A LOT of reasons to like this job! A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I used to be a Eurodollar trader. It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. Here's why you should seriously consider applying for this position:
1. Being a trader is super fast-paced, high energy and a lot of fun! Generally traders work in close-knit groups and in tight quarters which means you develop real camaraderie with your colleagues.
2. It's a great way to develop an understanding of finance and business and what drives the economy -- a solid foundation for any future position in any industry.
3. You don't need to have a finance, economics, or business background. This firm is looking for talent, in any shape or form. Jane Street hires motivated, flexible, and logical thinkers with strong quantitative skills, regardless of their academic level or major.
4. You'll use the latest and greatest technologies available. The future is NOW!
5. The office includes a game room, library, on-site gym, fully stocked kitchens, and spaces for learning and teaching. Breakfast and lunch are delivered daily, and the firm hosts frequent dinners and outside events.
6. New York City is the bomb! You can do anything at anytime and find anything you want from anywhere in the world. There's no place like it, honestly.
KATHLEEN'S PICK: Warner Music Group's Summer 2018 Atlantic Internship Program — California
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 16, 2018
Warner Music Group is a large, global music company that operates in over 50 countries with their HQ in NYC. WMG is one of the big three recording companies- they own and operate some of the largest and most successful brands out there, including Warner Bros. Records, Atlantic Records, and Parlophone.
As an Atlantic Records Intern, you would be working out of their Burbank, CA office & gain real world experience in this industry. Interns are matched to specific departments based on their interests- opportunities include artist development, brand partnerships, business/legal affairs, graphic design, video content, and more! If you're looking to work in the music industry, there's a good chance they have something for you.
What's so great about this program is that WMG also offers a lot of professional development opportunities & have an intern alumni network spanning across the country. Interns will also participate in their 'Marketing Madness' mock group project & have the opportunity to present their project to Atlantic Records executives.
I found this opportunity by searching 'movies, tv, music' under employer industry and 'California' under location.
JOELLE'S PICK: Lake of the Woods and Greenwoods Camps Summer Camp Communication Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 20, 2018
Looking for a summer in nature? This internship works closely with the Campus Directors to ensure parents are getting weekly updates from camp regarding their child. The objective is to continue to exceed parent’s expectations through proactive, positive, specific, and personal communication throughout the summer. They hire staff from all over the world and have 500 campers enjoy camp because of the connections they create with other campers and staff.
Photo Credit: UM Student Life Photography