It's the start of summer, which means many recent graduates have either already begun their first job or will be starting soon. Your first job will be a great learning experience. Sure, you may have worked part-time or interned, but there is something totally different about starting your first job.
We know it can be a scary yet exciting time, so here are 5 tips to get you job-ready in no time and started on the right foot .
- Get organized. Be sure you know where you are going so that you arrive on time (you won't want to be late on the first day). Pack a small bag with pens, paper, gum or breath mints, a small baggie of hygiene products, and a bottle of water.
- Get your wardrobe ready. It's true, it takes time to build a work-ready wardrobe. Start with the basics and add more as you go. Be sure you know your office dress code before you go shopping.
- Make a great first impression. Show up on time or early and dress appropriately for the office culture. Your first impression begins well before your first day, so make sure to clean up your social media if you have not done so already.
- Engage with your co-workers. It's important to get to know the people around you. It's true, the more you like your co-workers the more likely it will be that you enjoy your job. Grab a bit to eat, go out after work, and join a company club or sports team.
- Have a great time and ask questions. Enjoy your first job and try to learn as much as possible. Don't worry if you don't know something; just ask one of your co-workers.
Still have questions or concerns? Or perhaps you are still job searching. Schedule an appointment to meet with a career coach to discuss your plans. At the Career Center, we work with you up to 18 months after you graduate from U of M.
Photo Credit: Katy Warner CC BY 2.0